Saturday, December 16, 2006

One semester down...one to go.

I thought I might get reflective as I pack to go home from Dublin for the holidays.

I have to say I really like it here. It is a beautiful city and the people are fantastic. My professors, save one, are top notch and my friends here are the best as well. My grades to this point are good but not great. I hope to change that with these last two assignments I have to turn-in in January. All in all this has been a grand experience.

I have learned so much since arriving. To a few that are looking for me to turn liberal after being here or anti-American it may not satisfy them in terms of what I have learned, but to myself and those like me or those that understand me, well, I have taken in and processed a lot.

What I enjoy most is being able to discuss things that matter to me with people that share the same passions. Not only that, but being able to verbally spar with those that are up to the challenge. Now, having said that, I am a little disapointed at the level of understanding of US foreign policy and an understanding of the facts about Iraq. There is so much misinformation out there about Iraq that people who wish only to confirm their bias have no trouble finding that confirmation. That is just as obvious in academia as it is on the evening news.

The most glaring example is a professor of mine trying to pass off the 2002 version of the National Security Stratagy as the current version (2006). What is more, he is fine with that even after I asked him about it. You see, the 2002 version confirms his research theory (read: bias) and the 2006 does not. Oh well, I came here to learn -not to teach.

Finally, I have a job interview in January before I come back to Dublin...wish me luck.

B.

No comments: