Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Good Year, Russell Crowe...

The reviews for this movie were terrible. Lots of bad mouthing Crowe as being bad at comedy. They complained about some technical stuff, lighting, etc.

The movie was directed by Ridley Scott. (The Gladiator, Aliens, Black Hawk Down) Obviously a romantic comedy is a significant move ffom action adventure.

Well, I have seen it. And...I love it. Crowe is very funny. Lots of physical comedy but not so much that it is campy. The other characters are cast perfectly. Jemma, played by Archie Panjabi is wonderful. Marion Cotillard, the love interest Fanny Channel, is one of the most attractive women I have ever seen. She does a good job. But she could have done a horrible job and I would not have noticed.

As for what ever technical problems there were... well I noticed nothing. Movies aren't made for critics to pick about the details. They are made for the every-man. Is a layman can't find the problem...it doesn't exist.

Crowe's accent is supposed to be English. It does fluctuate. But if I can stomach an Irish Brad Pitt or an American Colin Ferrel I can certainly give Crowe some latitude.

Movie is set in Provence, France. I am in love with Provence and I have never been there. So the movie does accomplish that. The house and grounds where 90% of the movie takes place is lovely.

Lastly the music/score/soundtrack is fantastic. I will probably buy it.

It is a great movie. To hell with the reviews from "professionals".

B.

No comments: